San Bernardino Criminal Defense Lawyer
Being arrested and charged with a crime in the San Bernardino area is emotional and daunting. One minute you’re free, the next, you’re handcuffed, facing harsh penalties and an unknown future.
While an arrest doesn’t make you guilty of the alleged crime, it’s in your best interest to hire a hard-hitting criminal lawyer. Under no circumstances should you leave the fate of your career, reputation, and freedom at the mercy of the judicial system.
The stakes are even higher in San Bernardino County due to California’s Three Strikes law. Depending on your “Strike” priors, you could be looking at a minimum of 25 years in jail. That means time is of the essence, and you should contact a skilled San Bernardino criminal lawyer promptly.
Let an Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer at Seyb Law Firm Help You
At Seyb Law, we understand the emotional roller coaster you may be going through upon arrest. The fear of facing jail time, leaving your loved ones behind. We also understand the need for hope and support in such trying times – and we offer both abundantly.
Our hard-hitting San Bernardino criminal lawyers are always ready to help throughout the process, guide you when making critical decisions, and fight for you tirelessly until the end of your case. Not once do we leave our future at the mercy of the criminal justice system.
- We never lag, bluff, or under-deliver. Our goal is to come through when it matters and win tough cases.
- We prioritize quality over quantity and, thus, handle every aspect of your case personally.
- We are known for our passionate, comprehensive, and committed litigation
- Our San Bernardino criminal lawyers have over 60 years collective criminal defense experience.
- Our numbers speak for us. We have won hundreds of criminal cases, obtained dismissals for others, and reversed wrongful convictions throughout San Bernardino County.
- Our legal team provides customized, personal attention and works strategically to protect your interest throughout the prosecution process.
- We provide honest, timely, and continuous communication at every turn.
- We cover multiple criminal offenses in San Bernardino, including theft, weapon charge, sex crime, immigration, felonies, DUI, and domestic violence.
Understanding San Bernardino Criminal Penalties
When you plead guilty or receive criminal conviction in San Bernardino, the resulting penalties depend on many factors. These can include your criminal record, the gravity of the alleged crime, and extralegal factors like age, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, or school grades.
California Law defines distinct groups of criminal offenses. These include:
- Infraction: These are violations of municipal codes, traffic laws, or administrative regulations. Think of noise violations or getting a speeding ticket. Infractions are the least serious criminal offense and are not punishable by jail time. In some instances, you only need to pay a fine.
- Misdemeanor: These are crimes such as trespassing, petty theft, and public intoxication. They are punishable by one year jail time and up to $1000-$2000 in fines.
- Felony: Felonies are the most serious crime in San Bernardino, including crimes such as rape, kidnapping, arson, terrorism, and treason. Penalties include hefty fines, probation, significant jail time, and sometimes death.
Depending on the alleged crime, you could be facing probation, hefty fines, mandatory drug screenings, lengthy jail time, and other crime-specific penalties.
For example, those facing criminal charges for drug crimes can face:
- 2-3 years in California state prison
- Up to $20,000 in fines
As another example, if you’ve received DUI charges for the first time, you’re facing:
- 3-years probation
- 3-month drug/alcohol program
- Fines and penalties up to around $1906
- 6-month driver license suspension, and
- 2-days in prison (which can be converted into work release)
Understanding California’s Three Strikes Law
According to California’s “Three Strikes” sentencing law, repeated violent crimes or serious felonies will substantially increase the prison sentences of those convicted of a felony. Here are answers to some common questions about the Three Strikes law:
What is a serious strike prior?
Serious crimes under the Three Strike law include robbery, sex offenses like child molestation and rape, residential burglary, murder, kidnapping, arson, treason, terrorism, domestic violence, and illegal use of explosives.
What happens with a one-strike prior?
If you have a one-strike prior and happen to be convicted of a new felony, you’ll be jailed for twice the duration prescribed for the new crime. You cannot be placed on probation or sent to rehab. In addition, you’ll have to serve 80% of the jail time even with good behavior. That’s opposed to 35-50% jail time for non-strikers.
What happens with at least two strike priors?
If you have two strike priors and facing a third serious crime, you’ll face a minimum of 25 years in prison. You’ll also serve 100% of your sentence even with good behavior and work ethics. After 25 years, you may be eligible for parole.
If you have two strike priors and your third offense is non-violent and non-serious, you can seek relief from your sentence. However, you’re not eligible for the sentence relief if one of the violent crimes in the two priors involved murder, child molestation, or rape.
Besides fines and jail time, felony charges can affect your freedom to:
- Live wherever you want
- Practice under your professional license
- Own or possess a firearm
- Keep or get a job you want
- Sit in a jury
Hire San Bernardino Criminal Lawyers Who Understand Criminal Defense Law
The San Bernardino criminal justice system is not inclined to favor you. Yes, it’s possible to get justice with the aid of an assigned defense lawyer, but the deck is stacked against you from the onset.
To understand this, look at the high incarceration rates in San Bernardino and California State compared to the rest of the US and other NATO countries. (California maintains an average incarceration rate of 581 people per 100,000 citizens.)
With such rates, you are better off hiring an experienced, criminal defense lawyer who understands the ins and outs of the San Bernardino justice system. You deserve an attorney who understands your stake and is prepared to fight tooth and nail to at least lighten your sentence.
Seyb Law leverages decades of experience to help lighten the load in trying times. We utilize unique courtroom strategies, aggressive defense, and superb negotiation skills to protect you from the unfair practices of the judicial system.
Is the evidence inadequate? Are DUI test results faulty? We are pro at seeking out legal issues and leveraging loopholes in the case for your good.
Bottom line, do not go to battle alone. Instead, arm yourself with reputable criminal defense lawyers who will bring their A-game to all aspects of your case.
Why You Need a Hired Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney
In San Bernardino, criminal law states that if you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be assigned to you in a bid to attain just and fair outcomes regardless of your social-economic background.
Unfortunately, that’s rarely the reality on the ground.
Public attorneys or assigned counsel often have huge caseloads, varying competence, and scarce resources to handle criminal defense cases. That means you’re better off with a hired counsel than an assigned one. After all, a hired attorney will only take on criminal cases they’re experienced and better poised to handle. They can also prioritize your criminal case and provide customized legal representation, yielding better outcomes.
Can you imagine spending years in jail because your “assigned counsel” was too busy to follow through on crucial details of your court case? It gets worse in cases of wrongful conviction. But you can avoid such a predicament by hiring an affordable San Bernardino criminal defense lawyer to represent you in court.
Beyond saving you money in the form of a reduced jail term, saved career, and more, an experienced criminal defense lawyer:
- Understands San Bernardino County criminal justice system to the letter
- Can speed up the prosecution process
- Can curate a strong criminal defense strategy
- Can leverage existing relationships with prosecutors
- Has likely tackled similar cases before
- Understands the legal limits of what law enforcement can and cannot do, especially when obtaining evidence
- Can give insights into possible outcomes
- Can leverage their team to gather evidence, track down witnesses, and more
The bottom line: don’t gamble with your freedom by opting for a public defender or assigned counsel. Instead, hire an affordable San Bernardino defense attorney and wave goodbye to lengthy trials, inadequately prepared criminal cases, and wrongful convictions.
We’re Committed To Fighting & Winning Criminal Defense Cases
Seyb Law is known for taking on difficult cases and winning them. As criminal defense attorneys, we are focused on being comprehensive yet unrelenting.
We have spent years in San Bernardino judicial corridors and law offices fighting for the legal rights of those facing criminal charges. We have experience in many criminal law areas, including:
- Assault Crimes: Assault is considered a violent crime in California criminal law. That makes hiring an experienced legal representation essential for better outcomes.
- Felonies: Felony charges like murder, rape, and robbery attract severe penalties. If charged with such crimes, do not hesitate to retain a high-caliber criminal defense.
- Theft Crimes: San Bernard theft cases like petty theft and grand theft embezzlement have serious ramifications. You may face hefty fines and even jail terms.
- Drunk Driving: DUI conviction carries substantial penalties. For instance, a first DUI conviction can put you on 3-year probation and attract hefty fines. Hiring a skilled defense attorney helps smooth the process and reduce the charges.
- Sex Crimes: These crimes attract heavy penalties, not to mention severe backlash from the public and a tattered reputation. That can happen even before you’re found guilty. If accused of sex crimes, you need a San Bernardino defense attorney right away.
Protect Your Future With the Best San Bernardino Criminal Lawyers
If you’ve been arrested or charged with a crime — no matter how petty it sounds — you need a skilled criminal defense lawyer in your corner. Our San Bernardino criminal defense attorneys provide dedicated and comprehensive representation to protect your interests. Call or message us at 909-679-6505 or schedule a free consultation today.